Netflix has picked up a number of new contracts recently for their streaming service, and as a result, over 1,000 new titles are being added to the service in September. Mostly Paramount and MGM catalog titles, the list (found here) looks like several of my DVD shelves in digital form. In addition to some high profile favorites like the Godfather, Star Trek and Indiana Jones franchises, here's what you should consider checking out.
Movies Made Better With Rifftrax
* Battlefield Earth
* Aeon Flux
* Over the Top
* Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
* The Babysitter - This is an absolutely mind-numbing flick where everyone on the planet fantasizes about underage Alicia Silverstone, including the family dog. Yes, you read that right.
* Eye of the Tiger - Yes it's a totally absurd action flick starring Gary Busey. But it's also a fantastic piece of entertainment.
* Showgirls - It is as bad as you've heard, but oh so worth it.
* Brenda Starr
* The Apple
* Steven Seagal: Lawman
Underrated Gems and Cult Classics
* Chasing Sleep - A little thriller no one has ever heard of starring Jeff Daniels. One of the best movies of the 2000s.
* Clifford - I might be the only person who actually liked this Martin Short-Charles Grodin comedy.
* Final - Under the radar sci-fi thriller starring Denis Leary.
* The 'Burbs - Tom Hanks' best comedy. Seriously.
* The Mini-Skirt Mob - I watched a LOT of biker movies recently. This was the only one remotely decent.
* Black Rain - No one ever talks about this Michael Douglas-Andy Garcia flick anymore, which is a shame because it seems to hold up well. Great soundtrack too.
* The Negotiator - Another true gem. Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey. Love this movie.
* Dead Again - Might be Branagh's best film. Just don't look at the DVD cover that spoils the damn ending.
* Nick of Time - 24 before there was 24.
* Dream Lover - Madchen Amick and James Spader in a romance thriller. Solid with a great score.
* Miracle Mile - Another great movie no one has ever seen. Anthony Edwards picks up a random phone and is told that the nuclear missiles are on their way.
* Hard Eight - Despite director Paul Thomas Anderson's insistence that this movie should be called Sidney, Hard Eight is a better title for his first film. It's pretty solid, except for one major plot point late in the film that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. None. I mean, I seriously cannot figure out what one character was thinking.
* Top Secret!
* Event Horizon
* The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
* Miami Blues
* Bob Roberts
Hot Lesbian Action (if you don't have access to porn like me circa 1994)
* Bar Girls
Eric Roberts FTW
* Love, Cheat & Steal - This one isn't even on DVD. A tight, made for cable, 90s thriller co-starring John Lithgow and Madchen Amick.
* Runaway Train
* Star 80
Godzilla! et al.
* Godzilla's Revenge
* The Terror of Mechagodzilla
* Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster
* War of the Gargantuas
Thoughts? Let me hear from you on Twitter @watercoolerfilm